NoelleAndressen.com

Noelle Andressen, actress and artist. Experience the raw Hollywood journey.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Shirt Censorship

Just speaking from the point of view as an artist, I thought about censorship, I'm for freedom of expression but never, will I ever impose that on someone else. Yes, the best of both worlds. This is a very hot topic and can get the best of any side of the pancake, but are there just 2 sides to this? Eventhough a pancake has 2 sides, perhaps there is another ingredient to throw into the mix-ridiculousness.

Traditionally...
On one side we have the freedom of expression, a side that says if you don't like, don't look/listen, monitor your kids, etc.

The other side says moral responsibility, be careful of what you put out there knowing it influences.

Okay, cool I follow this.

(But how about this senario)

The only reason I bring this up is because recently I had been asked to censor myself. Why? I couldn't figure this out for the life of me. I had not taken a political stand with my mouth, I had not done anything that would violate the religious, so what could possibly be the problem? It was the clothing I was wearing--WHAT?!!

At a cocktail party, someone had observed that my clothing was not to their liking and was offended. I wasn't showing any cleavage (lord knows I do try though-lol), I wasn't wearing anything that had anything emblazoned across my chest that would make me a walking human billboard supporting one side of an issue, it wasn't made of fur so I was baffled. It turns out that the manufacturer of a shirt (a nice blouse too) that I was wearing was made from a manufacturer that they didn't approve of for political reasons I won't go into. WOAH! I was told that I was making a statement in support of this particular manufacturer by wearing this blouse and I should censor myself. Huh? This is where I say, enough already.

In order to make a statement (which I wasn't) wouldn't I have to know about the manufacturer in the first place? Hell, I don't even look at the labels. If it fits and I can afford it, I want it, I buy it. Goodness, now in the PC world I have to be judged by what I wear? My life is filled with so much trial and struggle as it is, how the hell am I going to be able to check out every manufacturer's history before I buy something. Lay off people-enough already-get a life and stop invading mine and others.

So I guess before I go to another Hollywood party, I should call each guest and ask them if what I'll be wearing is okay. Yeah, right. I guess in true artist form I should've just said: freedom of expression, if you don't like it, don't look.

I didn't want to get involved in this polictical non-sense, but it seems that it's unavoidable in this industry. Ya know guys, I just want to act, entertain and build true relationships. There's no hidden meaning, no hidden agenda, no political point I want to make--but don't push me.

Self Reflection:
When all things around us are crazy, can we maintain a steadfast foundation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home